Recent studies have indicated that simple automotive maintenance could be the easiest way to protect the environment and conserve fuel. As a result the National Automobile Dealers Association is encouraging its members to offer free checkups of important auto maintenance items.
“Customers should be able to save money and energy if they know what needs to be done
to get the best performance out of their cars and trucks,” says Jamie Marsh. Here are items that will be checked.
• Tire wear – Replacing worn tires can save hundreds of dollars a year.
• Tire pressure – Proper inflation can improve mileage up to 3-percent*.
• Examine for unnecessary items that add weight to the vehicle.
• Brakes – Improperly maintained brakes can result in unwanted drag.
• Engine performance – A single misfiring spark plug can cut fuel economy by 4-percent.
• Air filters – Replacing clogged air filters can improve gas mileage by up to 10-percent.
• Motor oil – Energy conserving oils can improve fuel economy by 2-percent.
• Warning lights – Ignoring indicators can result in poor fuel economy and release of toxic emissions.
• Evaporative emission controls – Faulty controls can waste gas and degrade air quality.
• Transmission – A properly operating transmission can be critical to overall fuel economy performance.
Bill Marsh will also give a free nitrogen gas tire fill. Nitrogen is more stable and is not impacted as much by extreme temperatures. This helps tire stay at their most efficient inflation level.
Bill Marsh is the only auto dealership in Northern Michigan that has agreed to participate in the Free Green Checkup campaign so far. More information is available at www.BillMarshGreen.com, or by calling 1-800-59-MARSH.
*Source of claims – National Automobile Dealers Association